Sunday, 30 May 2010

LA, Hollywood, Grand Canyon & Vegas

Where do I start? I feel I’ve been away for a month, we’ve travelled so much, too much for my poor swollen ankles!

I was very disappointed with Los Angeles, Beverley Hills and Hollywood, especially Hollywood which I thought was a complete and utter dump. If they are going to promote this as a tourist area, which it obviously is, then for goodness sake clean it up, jet wash the pavements, close down the tacky souvenir shops and move along the intimidating tramps. I took absolutely no photographs and I think that says it all for trigger happy me.

Now for the Grand Canyon!

You have to see it it believe it, the actual part where we were standing was apparently a one mile drop and eleven miles wide.

(Click on the photographs to enlarge)

P1080867

P1080859

P1080860

P1080861

P1080868

I was tempted by a mule ride into the canyon, but then I saw a party return and this wonderful little old lady moaned and groaned her way off her mount. The sight of her walking, bandy legged and in utter agony will stay with me forever! I’m very cruelly laughing just thinking about her, bless. I asked how long she’d been on the ride and when she answered SIX HOURS I knew it was not for me and the very reason her bum was sore! Actually I also learnt that the rides were booked up six months in advance.

P1080872

This was the rootin’ tootin’ cowboy who led the rides. He was a wonderful character and loved his mules which were in fabulous condition. I suspect he slept with them!

P1080875

P1080879

P1080880

P1080884

P1080887

As with anyone of photographic value in the States, these Indians were quite happy to pose with you providing you pass over the dollars. I managed a quickie before the dollar paying tourist got into position.

P1080889

I’m not sure what this was, similar to a spider’s web but with hatching caterpillars.

P1080885

Hoover Dam

I’ve visited this mind blowing dam before yet still had goose bumps when looking over the side.

The new bridge should be finished next year. However did they fix the struts into the mountain side?

The security here is pretty tight, no wonder when you consider the consequences. It was closed immediately, following 9/11.

P1080908

It looks like something out of a James Bond film doesn’t it?

P1080913

P1080897

I felt a little dizzy taking this one!

P1080891

The new bridge, under construction.

P1080892

Notice the water line.

P1080907

P1080901

And Then There Was Vegas!

What can I say, I’d seen it before and still had the same opinion! A mix of tat and luxury with not much in-between!

Just a few of my many photographs.

The lions inside the MGM Grand Hotel.

P1080916

P1080917

New York New York Hotel with a roller coaster running around the outside of the building.

P1080920

P1080921

I fell in love with these umbrellas in the Venetian Hotel, what a fabulous idea!

P1080938

P1080942

The Bellagio Hotel, conservatory and chocolate fountain!

P1080963

These huge flowers were made from glass.

P1080945

P1080946

P1080947

P1080948

I stood here for ages trying to capture one of those tiny water features that seems to stop in mid air, but no luck!

P1080950

P1080953

The worlds largest chocolate fountain, what luxury to be able to lie under this with your mouth open!

P1080954

P1080957

Overall? too much travelling, too little sightseeing time, too much junk food, not enough time to relax with a good meal and bottle of wine. Flight (Air New Zealand) fantastic but I found it depressingly long, approx 11 hours. I missed the lush green scenery of the UK, I missed UK prices, I won’t be whinging about the UK for at least a week!

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous photos. I enjoyed Hoover dam and the new bridge looks impressive. We stopped at the MGM grand and were married in the Monte Carlo hotel. You've brought back some happy and fum memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful trip! I don't think I'll get to see those places for real so it was great to experience it through your post.

    Bellaboo :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did enjoy seeing your photos. Expectation is a funny thing isn't it? I suppose we get our impressions of the USA from the TV & the reality is not quite the same.

    Jayne

    ReplyDelete


Followers