In a few day’s time I will be removing the gorgeous photographs of Pebbles from my blog because it will be so difficult to look at her pretty little face, but before I do that I want to pay tribute to my lovely little dog.
A few years ago, in what I call “my previous life” I married and husband came with a Westie. In time she had a litter of six pups. After puppy number five we thought that was it but over an hour later, when the mother dog, was outside she dropped puppy number six onto the gravel. She was the runt and was named Pebbles for obvious reasons and became mine!
Fast forward a further few years and I left the marital home and moved into a shoe box terrace. Some of my friends queried me taking Pebbles away from, not only her mother, but also the luxury of acres of rural land where we didn’t have to worry about their barking as we had no neighbours. To say I also was worried was an understatement. Would she pine for her canine mum? Would she bark/howl for her, or ditto when I left her on her own? How would I resolve that problem living in such close proximity to other people ?
I needn’t have worried, because as though she sensed my upheaval she settled in “all girls together” style and went from being a farm dog to, dare I say it, almost a lap dog! Since my move here she’s been a constant comfort to me in times of need.
Just after Christmas my beloved dad was rushed into hospital and I moved in with mum (still there now). I looked after mum during dad’s illness and consequent passing and there was the ever comforting Pebbles by both of our sides.
In the last few days of dad’s life, one of the few things he was able to say was “where’s Pebbles?”. Like everyone else, she had wheedled her way into his heart, right until the end.
So, as always I waffle, here’s what so sadly happened last week.
Pebbles was unexpectedly taken ill in the early hours. I phoned the vet and she was immediately rushed in and had an operation to remove an infected ovary/uterus. For the next few days she was sent home, re-admitted, sent home and re-admitted.
I had been warned that peritonitis was a grave concern and tragically on Saturday it became apparent little Pebbles was seriously ill. I rushed her in yet again and am not ashamed to say I drove with one hand on the steering wheel and one hand stroking her little head.
The peritonitis fear had come true.
The final goodbye was very peaceful, the vet administered a sedative and left me for ten minutes for her to quietly fall asleep whilst I stroked her and talked to her. By the time the vet returned she was sound asleep and wasn’t even aware of the procedure to end her pain.
I cannot fault her vets www.alderholtvets.co.uk The compassion and care shown, not only to Pebbles, but also to me, were unsurpassable.
Jeez I’m going to miss her.
xx
Oh Wend .... I just don't have the words but am thinking of you and fighting back the tears as I type. Rest in peace Pebbles and take good care of yourself xxx
ReplyDeleteOh darling I am so so very sorry, I can relate to what your going through and it is a physical as well as an emotional hurt....take care hun and I will be thinking of you xx
ReplyDeleteMy deepest sympathies. You've written a lovely tribute and I know I for one will always remember Pebbles. Thinking of you. xxx
ReplyDeleteOh you must be heartbroken. This is such sad news, but what a wonderful tribute you have written. Rest in peace Pebbles, you beautiful girl.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful tribute to your lovely little dog. You will miss her terribly, they become our family don't they?
ReplyDeleteYou've come through such a lot lately, xx
So so sorry to read this.
ReplyDeleteA wonderful tribute and I like to think of Pebbles snuggling up to your Dad up there. (Hope that thought doesn't offend)
With love xxx
So sorry that you've lost Pebbles - she sounded a very special girl xx
ReplyDeleteWhat a little star she was. I'm so sorry, it seems you've been through a lot. What a dear, dear little friend she was.
ReplyDeleteI am now sat here in tears after reading your tribute and cannot believe that you have lost your gorgeous sweet girl. When I started following your blog it was mainly because your Pebbles looked so like my Daisy. They are little angels who come into our lives and give us unconditional love, I'm sure she will leave a little westie shape hole in your life and your heart.
ReplyDeleteBig big hugs
Pene x
Such sad news, losing our pets is tough as they become such integral parts of our families and daily life. Am thinking of you and sending you hugs. Rest in peace Pebbles. xx
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry to hear you've lost Pebbles. Sending you hugs xx
ReplyDeleteOh Wendy I am so sorry to hear your sad news. I am sending you lots of hugs and thinking of you a this sad time. Lots of love xxx
ReplyDeleteIm so sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely little Pebbles. Thinking of you x
ReplyDeleteso sorry Wendy- it was lovely to have met her
ReplyDeletex
oh Wendy, I am in tears as I read this! As a fellow dog lover and westie owner I really feel your pain! Pebbles will be with you forever in your heart and mind! Sending you lots of love xxxxxx
ReplyDeleteWendy so so sad for you on the loss of your lovely Pebbles. Thinking of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteHi Wend - how awful for you especially so soon after losing your lovely Dad. One thing I know for sure you gave little Pebbles the very best home she could ever have wished for and you can feel very proud for that. Why do so many bad things happen to the good folk? It's a strange world. Thinking about you up here in Scotland. Love Sue xxxxxxxxx
ReplyDeleteThis is taken from an email from JENNY
ReplyDeleteDear Wendy, It broke my heart to read your tribute to Pebbles, but yet again it was wonderful to see all the lovely things people wrote. I tried to write a comment but it didn't work properly, so I'm doing it now. I wanted to say how I will always remember the lovely times Pebbles and I had whilst you were on your hols. She was such a happy little soul who gave pleasure to all who knew her. The pics on your blog are adorable and her 'fan club' will miss them if you take them off. She is like a little mascot for you. Perhaps you don't think the same way, but I like to imagine that your Dad and Pebbles are in some way together now, keeping each other company until the rest of their 'peoples' join them. Wishful thinking perhaps but a comfort none the less.
I know I am a bit late at reading this, but still wanted to comment as it is a wonderful tribute to a gorgeous faithful friend who was there with you when you needed her, and fortunately for her, you were there for her as well.
ReplyDeleteAww honey :( this has brought tears to my eyes...i'm thinking of you all at this sad time, pets really do become part of the family, and leave a huge gap in our lives...
ReplyDeletebig hugs and kisses mwah xxxx